Claire & Olivia


Series #015 completed in 2012

Media: Canson Paper
Size: 18" x 24"
Collection of Matt & Heather Morraye
After seeing 'A Dozen Blues,' my cousin Matt asked me to put together a piece for his wife.  He chose a picture of his two daughters laying in the grass for the subject matter.  Now even as cute as these two little rugrats are, this turned out to be a bit of a challenge to generate into a good looking piece of art.  My biggest issue by far was the contrast in their faces.  Both girls were so fair in complexion that they became washed out and mostly featureless when i first tried to generate the layers.  After some tweaks to the brightness and contrast, I finally found enough detail to make the girls recognizable.  The second greatest obstacle in a portrait like this is the hair.  I could easily have spent days cutting out strands of hair and different highlights.  The trick really is to keep the detail of the hair on the same level as everything else so as not to make the hair distract from the rest of the composition.   In the end, I am pleased with the result, though I was nervous for a while...




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Followers

ARTiculate Form Copyright © 2009 Blogger Template Designed by Bie Blogger Template